Tuesday, 17 January 2017

A Voyage of Discovery




'Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.'

It's all pretty much a voyage of discovery for me at the moment, one that I'm loving every single minute of and one that although upsetting at times is making me feel more in charge of my life than ever before.

I never want to become one of those vegans that proselytises all the time, forcing my opinion and way of life onto others, I would much rather be a kind to people as well as animals type of vegan  and simply be a non-meat eating person.  But I do want to use this blog to document my learnings and my findings as and when I find them, for my own benefit mostly, but also so that anyone who has decided to follow my journey can see what and where I am up to .... so every now and then there will be info-graphics that I have found on my travels, little snippets of film clips and photographs that I have found on my social media travels or taken on my journey. 

My wanting to be a 'kind' vegan on a slow learning path is the reason I haven't made a song and dance, or a bit of a hoo-ha of having a new blog.  Those of you that have already found me are very welcome to read and to comment but Our New Life in the Country had over well 5,000 hits a day and visitors from all over the world and I wanted my new way of life, although it knits entirely with my old one in terms of what I'm up to on our little patch of Welsh hillside ... to be a lot more low key.

In a month or so the name of this new blog will make much more sense, as this year will be our first 'proper' year of self sufficiency, with Alan giving up the 'day job' and being on our smallholding fulltime.  Which of course means with very limited income that I will be growing the majority of our food in the polytunnel, net tunnel and out on the hillside Veggie Patch .... a very good time to be a plant based eater if ever there was one!!

I'm at the very beginning of a very special journey that will last for the rest of my life, and if you are one of the few that have already found me I hope that you will enjoy watching my progress ... and be equally kind if I occasionally slip up and make mistakes.


6 comments:

  1. Sue, thank you. Well said. I still eat eggs a few times a month...I just can't quit them! But I feel so bad knowing they are factory farmed. Ethically, even if I quit eating them, my omnivore husband wouldn't (or my kids) nor would he be interested in paying the much higher price for free-range organic eggs. I wonder how you feel about eggs since I know you love your chickens and are raising them on site. I'd be curious to read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good comment, thank you. With an answer that I think deserves a blog post all of it's own, as lots of people that may find me will know that I have chickens and therefore home produced eggs.

      Delete
  2. I am right here rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to read it. But please be kind and keep it polite ... or I might just have to delete it.