Monday, 23 January 2017

Hummus





On the whole I'm doing well, well enough for me to actually say I am proud of myself for how I have adapted things up to now.  My only slip up this week was to put some butter in the freshly cooked boiled potatoes  ... ooops  :-(

Alan even told me over the weekend how it was good to see me trying new things and experimenting with our meals.  For instance we had two kinds of hummus in our Buddha bowls for tea yesterday one normal garlicky version and the other with added beetroot, both tasted delicious ... and both were homemade!!


This morning I decided to price out my homemade version against the ones I had been buying on an extremely regular basis from Tesco.  The 200g sized pot is £1.10, there is supposed to be a 300g sized pot for just £1.30 but they have always been sold out when I get there. 

My recipe made up about 600g of hummus, half of which I added the beetroot to and the rest I left plain and it cost me (including the beetroot) £1.65 to make.  So to buy 600g of the lovely garlicky heaven would have cost me £3.30 .... exactly double!!

So my question is ..... if I am making it for half the price can I eat twice as much ? 
.... pretty please    😋

*** *** ***

Recipe
adapted from 'Deliciously Ella' by Ella Woodward (page 102)

1 tin Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
5 tablespoons of Olive Oil
juice of one Lemon (or 1tbs bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon of Tahini
2 cloves of Garlic
1 teaspoon of Ground Cumin
Salt and Pepper

Put all the ingredients into a food processor along with 3 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth.  Add a little more oil if the mix is too dry ... I did.

This will keep for up to a week in a covered container in the fridge.

*** *** ***

And of course I could make it even cheaper if I bought some dried chickpeas and make it completely from scratch ..... maybe that is next on the cards.


Pictures taken from Google Images and mysupermarket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to read it. But please be kind and keep it polite ... or I might just have to delete it.