Monday, 16 January 2017

Jazzing Up Breakfast


Now I don't often have cereal type breakfasts but when I do I like it nutty and a just a little bit fruity.  Most shop bought mueslis simply do not cut the mustard with lots of cheap oats and only a minimum of the more expensive fruit and nuts ... and rummaging through my breakfast bowl for a lone sultana is not a good way to start the day. 

Sometimes I make my mueslis from scratch with the base being a simple bag of oats, sometimes when it is on offer, I buy the Muesli Base from Holland and Barrett which is a mix of oats and flakes, but the last few times I have made good use of this Original Muesli (the 1kg size)  being on offer there.  This muesli already has some fruit and nuts mixed in with the oats and flakes but that doesn't mean you can't add some more to make it even tastier.


I simply tip the bag of muesli into a large bowl and then set to with the additions I fancy.  This time it was a good mix of nuts and a bag of dried cranberries, to supplement the sultanas  that were already in the muesli base.  The nuts were going to be chopped up with a knife, hence them being on my chopping board in the photo, but I decided to speed things up and instead whizzed them up in my mini food processor.


Then they and the cranberries were tipped into the muesli base and all stirred together before being decanted into a screw top jar.  Of course first a good portion was tipped straight into my bowl for an immediate tasting session.  I have mine with unsweetened Almond Milk, but it tastes lovely with any sort of milk or yoghurt ...


... this one being my absolute favourite at the moment  😊


2 comments:

  1. So glad to see you back blogging Sue. I was reading the comments over at Going Gently and saw your comment so thought I would click over to see if there was anything new. I was pleasantly surprised to see you'd started a new blog. I'm looking forward to following along on your new journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am starting very low key with this one as it's mainly for my own benefit, to simply record my journey into an even kinder lifestyle.

      Delete

If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to read it. But please be kind and keep it polite ... or I might just have to delete it.