Saturday, 18 March 2017

The Perfect Vegan




I'm not the perfect vegan, I'm so far from being the perfect vegan it could upset me ... but it doesn't !!  Why doesn't it you might ask, well because I am doing exactly what the meme above says.  'I'm doing the best I can to cause the least harm', and hopefully I will be able to carry on this way for the rest of my life.

I can't stand suffering, I can't stand it when people say one thing and do another.  'I love animals' is an often repeated phrase, nine times out of ten from someone who will then go on to eat a slice of one for their tea with a side of chips and a coating of gravy.  I just woke up one day, did some research and decided I couldn't be one of those people anymore, so I changed.  Be the change you want to see!

My journey over the last fifteen years has taken me from cutting out red meat, to full on vegetarianism, then back to pescatarianism ... because I thought I needed the nutrients in fish ... HA .... I have felt so much better since I cut all animal products out of my diet ... and now I have moved finally and completely into veganism ... or a completely plant based diet as some call it.

Indeed maybe I should say I am 'plant based eater' rather than a vegan, because still in my life is one of the by-products of the animal industry - leather.

I have a couple of leather bags and a few pairs of leather shoes and boots, the sofa I sit on to eat my plant based meals is made of leather, the steering wheel cover and seat trims of my car are leather.  It seems I am surrounded by the stuff.  I can't afford to change everything at once but I can use them for now, respectfully make them last, wear them out and when they need replacing replace them with kinder, more soul satisfying alternatives.


Luckily I have always been allergic to wool so I don't have masses of woolly jumpers siting on my shoulders or my conscience, and to my knowledge there is little wool in the house, maybe a percentage in the carpet, but I really don't know.

Little by little I am moving forward, slowly and gently ... and for me that's the best way to go.



13 comments:

  1. This was a lovely read, thank you :)

    I'm almost 3 years in to my journey and there are still things I haven't figured out - medication being the big one. I'm glad I can walk in to superdrug and buy labelled vegan cosmetics and body care products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many vegan options to buy now aren't there. I bet even three years ago at the start of your vegan journey there were less options for you to choose from. Medication is a stumbling block for many, but sometimes we have to grit our teeth and take what is necessary, after all if you don't look after your health you can't move forward on this wonderful journey doing good.

      Delete
  2. I must admit I don't know that much about the vegan philosophy other than what you have already described above. The one thing that triggered a question was your referral to wool. I understand you are allergic to wool and therefore can't use it but from a vegan perspective why is wool a problem?
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically because vegans believe that 'animals are not our property and should not be used for food clothing, research or entertainment.'

      Here is a good article on sheep, if you scroll down a bit there is a section on 'Wool Production'. https://veganuary.com/why/animals/sheep-lambs/

      Delete
    2. Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation!
      KJ

      Delete
  3. I agree with you about taking care of, and wearing out your leather items, that way you're respecting your possessions, you're not punishing yourself for former decisions (not saying you would, I know some people do) and you're removing the economic value from the animal product. It's all about intention isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, thank you for your understanding. Some 'hard-core' vegans are of the opinion that you should simply get rid of all products as soon as you walk on the vegan path.

      Delete
  4. I try my best but am still stuck on eggs. isnt it a saying for Wiccans, do no harm? I also have leather sofas we can not afford to replace them and as we already have them and they are 17 years old. We wont get rid of them till they fall apart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange but even as a free range egg producer I found eggs very easy to give up.

      Delete
  5. It’s a hard one this issue: whether to continue to use animal products but only support the humane producers so that the immoral ones cannot cause them to go out of business or whether to simply boycott all such products. In my early 20s I helped set up the Leeds branch of Compassion in World Farming and seem to have been fighting for improved welfare standards my whole life, only to see them worsen. At the moment I only buy products from farms which can assure me of the quality of life and the quality of death of the animals as I don’t want there to be no ‘good’ examples left in this country for the next generations to see that there are other ways of doing things. But left to myself I would prefer to follow your example. Thank you so much for caring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes it's hard to know what to do for the best. Some places are more 'humane' than others, but no animal wants to die ... especially at the ages they are killed for the meat and dairy industries :-(

      Boy chicks are hours old when they are minced because they can't lay eggs, meat birds are weeks old, struggling to move under the weight of bodies that have grown too heavy far to fast, and laying birds are sent to their deaths (classed as spent) at just 18 months old ... and this happens in 'free range', quality assured family run farms as well as big companies :-(

      The world has gone mad, thank YOU for your work in Compassion in World Farming.

      Delete
  6. Good post Sue, I guess I would have to say I'm plant based rather than vegan as I still have my leather boots and wool jumpers. I believe we should do what we are comfortable with and able to do. I hate it when people criticise others for not being 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' enough rather than encouraging and giving credit to people for trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any step in the right direction .... is a step in the right direction!!

      One less meat based meal a week is something, using non-dairy milk instead of some or all of your 'normal' milk is something, buying non-leather boots, shoes and bags when your leather ones fall to bits is something. And all the somethings add up to a lot in the end. And yes I agree, we should always give credit and encouragement to anyone taking steps in the right direction :-)

      Delete

If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to read it. But please be kind and keep it polite ... or I might just have to delete it.