Wednesday, 14 June 2017

Keeping it Simple



My first few months of eating this vegan way have been a whirl of trying all the fantastic (and some frankly not so fantastic) products that are out there.

It's been interesting and eye opening. and once you start avoiding all things dairy you find out that milk is unnecessarily added to soooooo many different foodstuffs it really has no place in, purely I guess used as a cheap bulking agent ... not good when you are dairy intolerant as I am.  I know literally within minutes of mistakenly eating something that I thought was okay to eat, as the more I have avoided dairy the more sensitive to it I have become.

So now after a few months of trying the manufactured products that are out there along side the few over wintered polytunnel crops,  I think it is time to rein things in and to embrace all that is homegrown and home produced. 

After all this is really the time of the tunnels. 

Both the net and the poly tunnels are in full production, and we can nip out and pull up or snip off whatever we are fancying to add to our meals.  A couple of spring onions, just enough leaves for one sandwich, a radish or four.  For tea tonight I will be grabbing a handful of kale for a simple pasta and kale dish.  Simple to do and totally tasty ... and totally back to my simple home grown roots.


4 comments:

  1. I use milk so much in things I would hate to be lactose intolerant. I know my granddaughter has to limit what she has. At least there are far more alternatives these days, rice milk, almond milk that you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need to wash the salad leaves that are grown under cover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice just to step out the back door knowing you have food their waiting to be picked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about that first period of "vegan joy" where you just try all the new things. I don't mind some ready made things but it's nice to come back to vegetables.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to read it. But please be kind and keep it polite ... or I might just have to delete it.